1. Holy Trinity Orthodox Cathedral and Rectory
Designed to resemble the Russian provincial churches known to its first parishioners, this elegant church is an unexpected feature of its neighborhood. Even more surprising is the fact that its construction was partially paid for by Russian Czar Nicholas II. The walls of the church are load-bearing brick covered with stucco; the detailing of the two-story rectory repeats the same sinuous curve found in the roofline of the church. The ideologies held by the client and the designer harmonized well in this project, producing one of the most-inspired, small-scale works of influential architect Louis Sullivan.
Ukrainian Catholic Church
Ukrainian Orthodox Church-Closed didn't go in.
Ate lunch at Mr. Beef on Orleans
2. First Baptist Congregational Church
Year Built: 1871
Architect: Gurdon P. Randall
Social activism has characterized this congregation since its founding in 1851 by abolitionists. The innovative, amphitheater-style auditorium within this Gothic Revival-style building was widely influential in church architecture. The adjacent Carpenter Chapel was designed by Otis Wheelock and built in 1869 for the Chicago Theological Seminary. Closed, didn't go.
Stockyards GateBubbly Creek
Pope’s Visit - Five Holy Martyrs Church 4327 S. Richmond St - Couldn't find it.
In 1880, George Pullman commissioned architect Solon S. Beman to design the perfect industrial town, a landscaped haven complete with indoor plumbing and gas facilities. However, his utopia did not last. When an economic panic hit, Pullman had to reduce his workers' hours and wages, causing a bloody strike (the first organized one in U.S, history) to erupt in 1894. Today, much of the town remains intact, although a recent fire gutted one of its main buildings. This is a must-see for anyone with an interest in urban histories, planning or the workers' movement in
Year Built: 1924, addition, 1926
Architect: Alfred S. Alschuler
This building, based on Byzantine-style design precedents, houses the oldest Jewish congregation in
Area served: - Show
Kenwood District, Oakland District- Farrakhan wasn't home
Year Built: 1890-1891
Architect: Adler & Sullivan
The decorative and planning skills of architect Louis H. Sullivan, along with the engineering abilities of Dankmar Adler, are embodied in the strong masonry forms of this building, which is embellished with terra-cotta panels of intricate foliage designs. The dramatic interior of the church contains similar ornament. Built as Kehilath Anshe Ma' ariv synagogue, the building has housed the
4. Quinn Chapel
Year Built: 1892
Architect: Henry F. Starbuck
This church houses
6. Second Presbyterian Church
Year Built: 1874, reconstructed in 1900
Architects: Howard Van Doren Shaw,James Renwick
When this Gothic Revival-style church was designed--by a prominent
Douglas Blvd.- Saw old Synagogues turned Baptist churches
Homan Sqaure- Saw the original